MIAMI.- The Cuban Exile Democracy Movement in Miami announced that it will denounce to the United Nations and the Organization of American States (OAS) the disappearances of at least half a thousand young people in the protests in Cuba, including Luis Carlos Núñez, 25 years old. and who suffers from epilepsy.
Ramón Saúl Sánchez, president of the organization, detailed today to . that they have received constant calls from the island from families who do not know the whereabouts of their loved ones, as well as denouncing the forced recruitment of young people for the revolution since the protests broke out in the past. July 11.
Special counsel Juan González told Gloria Ordaz that Biden would come to Miami when he had something to announce about Cuba.
“The idea is to encourage people to make complaints because there is fear of people who are worried that if they report something will happen to a loved one who is lost,” he said Tuesday.
In that sense, the activist Gus García told . that it is a very serious work by expert lawyers to collect information on at least 500 disappeared so far, the vast majority of whom are minors.
García specified that although some names will eventually be disclosed with the permission of their families, they will keep their identities confidential to avoid possible reprisals from the regime.
The organization stressed in a press conference that it is necessary to give the name and surname to the disappeared and to make specific complaints to the Human Rights commissions of international organizations.
On the other hand, the Democracy Movement indicated that they will request the OAS Human Rights Commission to organize a trip to Cuba to interview the detainees.
Sánchez said that there are also cases of young people hiding in their homes for fear of being arrested, including a badly injured one who is being treated at home because he fears going to a hospital.
HUNGER STRIKE BEFORE PREMURA
On the other hand, the renowned Cuban exile leader told . that he is preparing a hunger strike in case the government of US President Joe Biden does not immediately implement various measures to help the Cuban people.
The exile stressed that he seeks to pressure the Biden government to request the immediate strengthening of the internet service on the island and of Martí radio and television so that it reaches Cuba with greater power, as well as the establishment of direct sanctions, “with name and surname to the repressors of the regime “.
“If the president does not listen to us, I am going to go on a hunger strike,” he said.
The activist urges the Democratic government that any private business with the island directly benefits the people and not the Government of Miguel Díaz-Canel, through the application of the Sullivan Principles of corporate responsibility.
He also urges him to regulate in some way the sending of packages and remittances, and calls and trips to Cuba, so that the Cuban military and the regime in general do not take full advantage of these transactions, which are more expensive in the island than in any other nation.
“That this industry be investigated and dismantled so that transactions occur at the normal level as in any other country,” he said.
In that sense, he said that President Biden “took a good step” by pointing out that remittances should go directly to the population and not to the regime, but that now we have to study how to do it.
In the same way, he asked him “to ensure that the dictatorship does not receive reinforcements from Russia or China to stop strengthening militarily and also to convene an international coalition of solidarity with the Cuban people.”
“Our people are being bled and it is not enough to bring us measures that do not reflect the urgency of the moment, because if they do not they will crush civil society and opponents,” he lamented.