Breaking News —

A 26-year-old girl put her life at risk after intentionally ingesting about two tablespoons of caffeine powder. According to the doctors, he was very lucky to survive.

The study of a new clinical case in the United Kingdom has once again alerted to the dangers of consuming caffeine powder, a product that has been banned in some countries as it is linked to several deaths after excessive consumption. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) ensures that a single tablespoon of caffeine powder equals about 28 cups of coffee, indicates ScienceAlert.

The report, published this month in the journal BMJ Case Reports, details the situation of a 26-year-old patient admitted to the emergency department after having intentionally ingested 20 grams of caffeine powder (approximately two tablespoons). Her heart rate was abnormally fast and she had low blood pressure. According to the authors, ingesting more than 1-2 grams causes “significant toxic effects” and there have been “fatal overdoses” with more than 5 grams of this substance, so the amount taken by the young woman was life-threatening. .

An EKG revealed polymorphic ventricular tachycardia and other tests showed an accumulation of acid in his body (metabolic acidosis) and an imbalance between carbon dioxide and oxygen in the blood (respiratory alkalosis). This situation led the specialists to start a fluid and electrolyte replacement treatment, but the patient’s condition did not improve and she had to be transferred to intensive care; there he remained on hemodialysis and on a mechanical ventilator.

With a new medication scheme, based on intravenous bicarbonate, magnesium sulfate and activated carbon (to eliminate toxins from her kidneys), among others, the patient’s condition improved after one week. However, the doctors assure that this woman was very lucky to survive the incident because the concentration of caffeine in her blood had reached 147.1 milligrams per liter (mg / L), when fatal cases have been documented with just 80 mg / L. The most surprising thing is that the detection occurred hours after ingestion, so the maximum concentration could have been even higher.

If you liked it, share it with your friends!