Mexico City. (.) – The Federal government of Mexico will suspend all non-essential activities starting today Thursday as a measure to face the advance of the outbreak of coronavirus, Undersecretary of Health Hugo López-Gatell said after learning that 475 cases in the country rose to 475.

Authorities reported 70 new infections on Wednesday, while a new deceased was registered, for a total of six.

“All the federal government suspends work and each head of dependency will determine who cannot suspend, “said the official at a press conference.” There are people who work in the government who cannot suspend, because if they suspend, the functionality of the government is seriously affected. “

Between the Activities that will not be suspended include those in the health and energy, security and cleaning services sectors.a, among others.

To face Phase 2 of the pandemic we need to reinforce #SanaDistancia measures

Cares for the elderly, pregnant women and the sick

Maintain a healthy diet

Follow hygiene recommendations

If you can do it, # QuédateEnCasa pic.twitter.com/llT7TBKrwz

– Government of Mexico (@GobiernoMX)
   March 25, 2020

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has been questioned for having taken less resounding measures against the spread of the coronavirus than in other countries, which have closed borders and decreed curfews.

The undersecretary said that the daily conferences of the president will not be suspended “because we consider that the activity of you (the reporters) is an essential activity”, although he mentioned that there could be some changes, such as reducing the concentration of people.

López-Gatell announced this week the temporary suspension of events of 100 people or more. Weeks ago, classes were suspended.

The official justified the measure because within the country cases of people presenting the disease have been detected without having come into direct contact with others who traveled from the countries most affected by the disease or with individuals who were close to the latter.

The outbreak, which emerged in China late last year, has left more than 435,000 infected and at least 19,500 deaths around the world, according to a . count. (Report by Miguel Angel Gutiérrez, edited by Sharay Angulo)

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here